All City operations suspended except for critical public safety services
In response to Gov. Gavin Newsom’s directive to Stay at Home, the City of Chula Vista is suspending operations except for critical public safety services, to include police, fire, and public works functions that support essential infrastructure and public safety functions.
All City buildings, parks, recreation centers are closed. The City of Chula Vista is coordinating with the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency/Public Health Services department and other agencies to implement all measures required to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a global pandemic.
“I urge all Chula Vista residents to follow the Governor’s directive to stay at home,” said Mayor Mary Casillas Salas. “I am heartened by the acts of kindness and support I see in our community, but we must stay safe. We will continue to communicate information so you and your families have the resources they need during this time. Thank you for doing what you can to reduce the spread of COVID-19.”
Following are additional actions taken and underway in the City of Chula Vista to address this public health emergency:
- All City libraries, parks and recreation centers and City Hall remain closed and all activities cancelled for the foreseeable future. Park and restroom gates are locked.
- The Fire Department has implemented first responders’ protocols for responding to calls for service related to COVID-19 by providing personal protective equipment (PPE), and implementing exposure reporting, monitoring/quarantine, and decontamination practices.
- Police patrol units and City Park Rangers have been provided PPE.
- The City has coordinated with the County of San Diego to install 15 handwashing stations throughout the City.
- There are no Council Meetings scheduled until April 7 and the City is considering options for holding future meetings remotely to protect the health and safety of the City Council, staff and the public.
- All Board and Commission meetings in March are cancelled and this likely will extend through April.
- Visit www.chulavistaca.gov/coronavirus with information and links to resources on COVID-19 (coronavirus).
- Sign up for Nixle www.nixle.com to get emergency and other important notifications. Follow @thinkchulavista on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more information.
The COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, and we learn more about the virus every day. We will continue to provide updates to keep you and our community as safe as possible and we will assist you in complying with these new policies.